Mommy's Coffee Break

Welcome! Sit back, relax, and enjoy some well-deserved mommy time........

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Turning the page.....




Here we go..."the first day of the rest of my blog"... :-)

New format folks....Here are some ideas to ponder and some places to wander around the world wide web while ya sit back and enjoy your coffee break!  :-)

Quote of the Day:  "To speak kindly does not hurt the tongue".  I believe this quote comes from the Bible.  It is part of a little book of quotes I was given after my great-grandmother passed away.  Some ladies in her church in Iowa put it together and had given it to my great grandma as a gift.  Some of the quotes are from the Bible and some are just plain good ole midwestern common sense.
Let us all go out and test this little quote.  Let me know if anyone's tongue gets injured in the process. :-)

Blog Post of the Day:  The first FANTASTIC "blog post of the day" to be featured on this mommy blog comes from a fabulous daddy blog.....Check it out!!  It features a French turn of the century (early 1900's not early 2000's..wouldn't be nearly as cool) photographer and his fabulous  photos of little street urchins during the WWI years. It's a little sad to think of kids playing the kind of games they are photographed playing, but it was a reality...and I always think the more real a photo is, the more meaning it has.  The pictures featured really bring the past vividly to life.   Here's the link...
http://daddytypes.com/2011/01/31/cest_la_guerre_mon_enfant.php

News Post of the Day:  Here's a link to a CNN blogger debating the impact the internet has had on the situation in Egypt:::  CNN BLOG

Fashion News:  Food + Fashion = Fabulous....Maybe....Check out this WSJ article and decide for yourself.  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704405704576064340019008056.html.


What I am reading:  Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan.  Ms. Tan is one of my favorite authors.  I am currently on the third chapter of the book. If it weren't for the kids, dog, cats, hubby, housework, need for sleep, etc.  I would probably be finished with it!  It's really hard to put down!

There are two quotes at the beginning of the book that go along with its storyline....

The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.  ~ Albert Camus

A pious man explained to his followers:  "It is evil to take lives and noble to save them.  Each day I pledge to save a hundred lives.  I drop my net in the lake and scoop out a hundred fishes.  I place the fishes on the bank, where they flop and twirl.  "Don't be scared, "I tell those fishes.  "I am saving you from drowning."  Soon enough, the fishes grow calm and lie still.  Yet, sad to say, I am always too late.  The fishes expire.  And because it is evil to waste anything, I take those dead fishes to market and I sell them for a good price.  With the money I receive, I buy more nets so I can save more fishes.
 ~ Anonymous

They really set up the book well.  It's about twelve American tourists who join an art expedition that eventually leads them into the jungles of Burma.  They encounter difficulties and end up disappearing.  If you read the book, be sure to read Amy's "a note to the reader"at the beginning of the book.  Her inspiration for the book is pretty interesting!

This book has published in 2005, so you may be able to find this at your local library.  If not, I've found it on Amazon for you....just click below for a wonderful read!

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Fish-Drowning-Amy-Tan/dp/B002GJU418/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296585733&sr=1-1

That's all for now!  Have a wonderful rest of the day!  See ya during your coffee break tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment