Mommy's Coffee Break

Welcome! Sit back, relax, and enjoy some well-deserved mommy time........

Friday, February 4, 2011

Yoga Does A Body Good.........

I'm really missing my yoga class.  I haven't attended class in almost 2 months and my bod is feelin' it!  My class is taught in 6 week sessions and I had decided to sit out this 6 weeks for multiple reasons...all too boring to mention here!   
My yoga instructor is an energetic 64-year-old named Mary.  She is truly an inspiration.  She's been practicing yoga for at least 3 decades now and is in better shape than most 20-year-olds!  Even though she could easily manage some of the more complex yoga poses, she lets us all go at our own pace.  Those of us who are beginners do the basic poses, while she encourages the more experienced to challenge themselves with more advanced versions of those poses.  She makes everyone feel totally comfortable and I don't ever feel intimidated or embarrassed (like I was afraid I would be when I first started her class).  She always has a smile on her face and an encouraging word for everyone.  I think that's what I've missed the most this past 6 weeks! 
So....since I have yoga on my mind.....I decided to share with you all some interesting sites relating to Yoga!  So....sit back, breathe deeply, relax and take a gander at the interesting yoga-related goodies I want to share with you.  
I encourage everyone to check out yoga classes near you.  When my next class session starts in 2 weeks, I'll be there, yoga mat in hand and smile on my face!  :-)






Quotes of the day:


A photographer gets people to pose for him.  A yoga instructor gets people to pose for themselves.  ~Terri Guillemets


Blessed are the flexible for they will not be bent out of shape. ~unknown


Sun salutations can energize and warm you, even on the darkest, coldest, winter day.  ~Carol Krucoff   (Aww....nice thought....especially since it's only 32 degrees here at the moment!)


What is yoga?


~This first site is great.  The article in the link below gives an introduction to the different types of yoga.  You might also want to venture further around the site.  It has lots of interesting yoga info!


http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/beginnersguide/whatisyoga.asp




Benefits of Yoga


~Wow...this article lists 77 reasons why I should get my behind back into class.....  :-)


http://www.nursingdegree.net/blog/24/77-surprising-health-benefits-of-yoga/

Yoga Poses


~Here's an explanation of what is meant by beginner, intermediate, and advanced yoga positions....


http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/posesindex.htm


~Yoga poses for beginners.......weird stick figure illustrations here, but fantastic descriptions on how to form the poses and hold them.  Well...on second thought, those stick figures are kinda cute.....check 'em out!


http://www.yogasite.com/postures.html


~For the (way) more advanced yogis......fun pics!  Amazing what some folks have trained their bodies to do.  


http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/yoga/poses/extreme-yoga-poses/


Hope everyone has a zen-kinda day!  Get out there and stretch those bodies!



















1 comment: